This site is intended for US residents ages 18 and over.
Indication for Humulin R U-500
Humulin R U-500 insulin is used along with diet and exercise to treat high blood sugar in people with diabetes who need more than 200 units of insulin a day.
Humulin R U-500 may be considered in people with diabetes who need more than 200 units of insulin a day in managing their diabetes.
Humulin R U-500 allows people with diabetes to inject 1/5 the insulin volume when compared to injecting the same dose of a U-100 insulin.
When managing diabetes with Humulin R U-500, important steps must be taken to reduce the risk of prescribing and administration errors.
Click a topic to learn more:
Review the Distinct Label >
Verify Syringe Type and Dosing >
Reference the Dosing Table >
Review the Distinct Label
- Humulin R U-500 is distinctively labeled from Humulin® R U-100.
- It’s important to ensure you have received the correct insulin.
- Check for the distinctive Humulin R U-500 packaging, which is marked with a band of diagonal brown stripes, black-and-white label, and specific important information called out in red text.
Verify Syringe Type and Dosing
- A U-100 insulin syringe or volumetric (tuberculin or allergy) syringe is recommended for measuring the dose of Humulin R U-500.
- When Humulin R U-500 is prescribed, the type of syringe should be specified, and the amount of insulin to be taken should be explained in both actual dose and unit markings (insulin syringe) or mL (volumetric syringe).
- It is extremely important that people prescribed Humulin R U-500 understand that the unit markings or volume on these syringes are different from the prescribed actual unit dose of Humulin R U-500.
Reference the Dosing Table
- For accurate dosing, it is important to refer to the conversion table, which is based on the following formulas:
- U-100 insulin syringe
- Divide the prescribed dose of Humulin R U-500 (actual units) by 5 = Unit markings in a U-100 insulin syringe.
- Volumetric (tuberculin or allergy) syringe
- Divide prescribed Dose (actual units of Humulin R U-500) by 500 = Volume (mL) in a volumetric syringe.
- The conversion table and formulas can help people prescribed Humulin R U-500 determine the proper unit markings or milliliters (mL) that correspond to the amount of insulin they should inject.
If you have additional questions about Humulin R U-500, please contact your healthcare provider or call The Lilly Answers Center at